1 September 2020
The purpose of this policy is to define Canterbury Presbyterian Church’s refund policy for all contributions. The Church is not legally required to refund any donor contributions. A church contribution is a gift, an irrevocable transfer of a donor’s entire interest in the donated cash or property.
- The Canterbury Presbyterian Church is not required to return an undesignated or unrestricted gift. As such, requests for refunds relating to unrestricted gifts will be denied under most circumstances.
- Exception 1: Refund requests for duplicative or erroneous processing may be allowed.
- Exception 2: Refund requests of significant gifts (greater than A$10,000) will be reviewed thoroughly and must be approved by the church board of ministry support.
- In some instances, a refund of a designated or restricted gift will be allowed if the purpose for which the gift was given does not come to fruition. Canterbury Presbyterian Church will contact the giver and ask for the restriction to be removed or if the giver would like his or her contribution returned.
- For example, donations designated for the Melbourne Japanese Christian Church (MJCC) Launch Fund 2021 may be refunded if the planned church relaunch does not proceed and the donor requests a refund.